Sunday, March 11, 2012

This is a picture of the garden in early spring.  I have the Stella day lily and behind it Iris are blooming.  Did you know that there over 200 know species of Iris? 

Bearded irises can withstand long dry periods in the dormant state but need abundant moisture when in bloom.  Rhizomes should be lifted every three to four years.  Cultivate the soil around the clumps and lightly fertilize them in early spring.  

O.K. Most information reads that you should cut back the plant to within 4 to 5 inches of the rhizome and removing dead or shriveled leaves.  Well I guess I must be doing it all wrong because this is what I do for all my flowers once they are done blooming.  O.K. lets take the Iris.  When it is done blooming I will let it stand until most all leaves start to turn yellow. This is in late spring. Then I cut them back almost all the way to the ground.  This way the green leaves will pop up again and I will have the green leaves there for the rest of the summer. The new leaves look just like spring again. Of course it does not bloom again til next year, but at least you will not have an empty space in your garden.  One thing to remember is that when you cut any plant off you must keep it watered good til it starts to grow again.  I don"t mean everyday, just give it a good soaking and if its hot and dry again in a couple of days.  

Oh by the way I'm talking about the plants that come back every year, so don't cut back the annuals cause they probably will not come back.  





No comments:

Post a Comment